Thursday, January 21, 2016

Winter

     Winter has arrived, all at once. It got cold this week, and we had our first snow last night. I laughed when I heard that the warning us that we could get one inch of snow. But then I drove home in the one inch and quit laughing. If there's ice under the snow, and no snowplows, that means lots of fish-tailing and accidents. I was grateful to get home without running into anyone. A new snowstorm is predicted this weekend, and they've already preemptively closed my office and the surrounding schools on Friday.
     I've been sick for the past few days. I count myself lucky, because when I get sick it usually means that I just need to sleep for two or three days. As I lay in bed all day long, I can hear the cat gently snoring next to me, and the dog snuffling in her sleep in the crate. It occurs to me that this is what these animals do, every day, all day long. What a life...
     In this downtime, I did a final tally on my plumbing expenses. The plumber had quoted me $4k to replace all the plumbing, and I received a credit for that amount when I bought the house. I spent $850 on supplies, so my father and I, splitting the excess, each made $1600 and experienced the ineffable joy that is plumbing DIY. The new plastic tubing has an added bonus - since it's less conductive than metal, and the path between the hot water heater and each device is shorter, hot water arrives almost instantaneously when I turn it on. I can't tell you what a thrill I get every time I turn on the shower. Running hot water is the gift that keeps giving.

5 comments:

Gill - UK said...

A business woman as well as a plumber. Are you going to buy yourself a treat with the
bonus?

de-I said...

Amen for that...hot water that is. Have you worked out what the hourly rate you and your Father were making?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Gill, my father is going to buy a treat. He is going to pay someone to repair his favorite Triumph motorcycle, so that he can ride it again. (He never has time to repair it himself, because he's busy helping his daughter with her plumbing). I have done something practical with mine, and have invested it.

de-I, I made a great hourly rate if you consider that I was doing the work during paid vacation time :)

alexis said...

I seriously love hot water! I know many people think I'm an idiot but I really do love that first moment when you turn on the shower and magical, clean, hot water pours over you. It makes you glad we have been born in these times.

Being female, I'm pretty damn glad I was born now versus any other time in human history - the more I read about history the more I believe that.

Anonymous said...

Didn't see until now that you were sick. Hope you are feeling better. In a weird way, it's kinda nice to be holed up for a couple of days for the world to slow down every once in a while. I loved the fennel photo!

-jg