Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Beware the cavorting capsule

This cheerful, dancing capsule adorns the informational brochure that came with my oral typhoid vaccine. When the doctor told met that the oral vaccine gave me twice as many years' protection, and didn't involve a shot, I was sold. But it's a live vaccine, I have to take it for a week, and it has more frequent side effects. So far I've had fever, chills, and what is delicately referred to as gastrointestinal distress.
I'll definitely grant that this is better than typhoid, but at the same time I'd have to point out that this vaccine has a 75% effectiveness rate. I wish I had approached this smiling guy with a little more caution. Hopefully the next four days will go more smoothly than the last two.

4 comments:

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Where are you going that you need protection from Typhoid?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

The Dominican Republic. with my mother. I'll be sure to write more about that soon.

alexis said...

LMAO! And mom already asked the question I was pondering.

de-I said...

Moi aussi. Beware the Magical Dragon Gecko God of Gastrointestinal Disease!

And Dad isn't going to motorcycle in the Dominican Republic? I'm shocked.