Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Great Material Continuum

On Sunday I was planning to go to Home Depot and purchase supplies for the garden, but instead I got a new couch. I wasn't intending to get a couch; I have a perfectly acceptable one. It's originally from IKEA, pulls out into a double bed, and has only a half a dozen stains on it. I can blame some of those on the pets, but not all. (Tip: when a friend says, "I'm sure we'll be fine using super glue while sitting on the couch," don't believe her. Super glue stains are forever.)
However, on Saturday night I saw that someone on the neighborhood listserv had an old couch that needed a new home. It was from the 1930's, and it was the two things I can't resist- old, and free. I went to look at it the next morning and was smitten. In fact, I didn't even think to sit down on it until after it was in my house. Luckily, it's pretty comfy for an eighty-year-old sofa. As far as I can tell, the cushions are stuffed with cloth, instead of foam rubber (which would make sense, because I've read that foam rubber didn't become widespread until the 40's). It's very different than sitting on the boxy IKEA couch, which was snapped up by a Craigslist buyer this evening. 

As my friend N said, this is all part of the Great Material Continuum*, whereby some material goods are in excess in some places, but lacking in others. The Continuum has taken away a less optimal seating option and given a more styling option.

*Nerdy Star Trek reference. Read more here.

4 comments:

de-I said...

All hail and give thanks to the providence of the continuum.

Bernice said...

Your couch is older than your house by about 5 years? Great color. It is so you.

Gill - UK said...

It's very classy - and in a few years time you may be able to sell it as an antique.

alexis said...

love the color!!