Wednesday, June 29, 2016

House happiness

Tonight I sat outside for a few minutes as it got dark. While Ada kept her post near my chair, the fireflies were flashing all around, and two bats swooped overhead. I feel pretty lucky to have found a place to live that blends city and nature. I live inside the Beltway, and it's only a ten minute walk to the metro. Still, from my yard, I can see birds, bats, and (and every gardener's nemesis) Evil Squirrels.

Then I went inside and moved back into my bedroom. It took me almost two months to complete, but I'm very pleased with the refinished floor. I have a new roommate moving in in two weeks, and it'll be good to be back up on the second floor in my bedroom when she arrives. Sleeping upstairs means that I don't enjoy quite as much air-conditioning, and it's a hike to the only bathroom in the house, but having a bedroom on a separate floor has given me privacy that make house sharing much more manageable.

3 comments:

de-I said...

It is good feeling when the home improvement projects end and you get to live in your house once more.

alexis said...

what an accomplishment, savor the moment!

Gill - UK said...

I'm sure your garden is a haven for wildlife and they will stay where they find food and shelter.
Squirrels - well don't grow nuts or plant bulbs and make sure any bird feeders are squirrel proof, then they'll have no reason to call.
I've only managed to harvest one hazelnut, but pulled out no end on seedling hazel trees.