Thursday, December 08, 2016

Party Prep

     It's been full-on party preparation this week. The tree is decorated, the snowflakes are hung, and the house is clean. I even dusted my baseboards - I keep my house very neat and fairly minimal so there's not too much to clean, but I still don't think to dust very often. I hope my guests appreciate it. Perhaps when I'm giving them the tour of the house (which ALWAYS includes a stop in the basement to see the awesome plumbing) I can casually point out the cleanliness of the baseboards.
      One new addition to the menu this year is a fruitcake. I didn't quite follow the recipe, because I had to substitute brandy for rum and lots of fresh citrus zest for the candied citrus. Since I always label all my food at parties, I've been debating whether to name it "fruitcake" and trigger all the negative associations with that name or choose something like "brandied spice cake with figs and cherries." Probably the best idea is to have two separate plates, one with each label, and measure at the end of the evening which one has been consumed more.

4 comments:

de-I said...

The difference between what everyone associates with fruitcake and a really quality version with good ingredients, lovingly basted with booze while it ages, is like night and day. I'm sure Alexis will comment for she went through a period where she made the most wonderful nut, dried fruit, and alcohol rectangles (about equal amounts by weight of all three) with just enough 'cake' matter to hold them together. You can see my memories of these is very fond.

Shawn said...

Yes, scientific method all the way!

alexis said...

lol, won't people notice it's the same regardless of the label?

Bernice said...

You are always doing research. Love it