Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Back to Ohio

     As I have mentioned before, I go to Ohio for cut-rate deals on medical care and farm produce. Now I can add car repair to the list. Although I had some belts replaced last week, it turns out that my car needs even more work. I'm willing to pay for it, because I expect my Scion (a car that is a Toyota in all but name) to last at least three or four more years. But I wouldn't mind paying less for it. Thus, my parents and I devised a car exchange this weekend: I drove their car to Maryland, and they'll take my car to the lower-priced Ohio mechanic and get all the work done. When they come to visit at Thanksgiving, we can all trade back. My father was amenable to the deal (especially because the size of the Maryland mechanic's quote for repairs horrified him) but only committed once my mother promised to have my car cleaned out. My continual transport of dogs, mulch, and plywood results in a very messy car.
      In other news, we celebrated my father's 70th birthday. There were appetizers, and three types types of meat. There was a big cake, 30 guests, and a toast. And, of course, funny hats.


   
 Most of the photos featured either grandkids or vehicles, of course.
 I socialized as long as I could and then hid in an empty room with my nephew.

It was a terrific weekend. I'm grateful that my dad's health is better than last year and that we could all spend time together.

3 comments:

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Love your Dad's hat! So glad the party was a success.

alexis said...

happy 70th Uncle G!!!! He looks great and I'm so glad you guys are so creative with finding good solutions.

Madonna Gentry said...

Timely repairs and preventive maintenance of cars result in big savings in maintenance costs down the lane. Checking fluid levels and tyre pressure periodically, and changing the engine oil at the recommended time, ensures a trouble-free drive. Of course, you get to save even more when the garage gives a reasonable quote. And yes, cleaning the car regularly makes it driveable!

Madonna Gentry @ SVS Autocare