Thursday, February 15, 2018

March is bound to be better

     I haven't posted much in February because it hasn't been a good month and just writing a bunch of complaints sounded sad for everyone. But I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.
     I got the flu last week and slept for three days. I would have stayed in bed longer, but I was helping to run two conferences in a row, so I just powered through. The first day I kept looking longingly at the registration table, with its floor-length tablecloth, thinking that I could just crawl under where no one could see me so I could sleep. However, by the last day I was back to my normal self, i.e. the consummate event planner.
     To add to things, Andrew's birthday was this week, which is always a miserable day for me, and Molly the cat has been sick. Just like last fall, she simply quit eating. She spent her time wandering around, complaining that she was hungry and even licking the floor for spills, but she wouldn't eat anything in her bowl. In fact, I suspect she couldn't - I would see her try to eat and the food would just fall from her mouth, as if she couldn't swallow. I resisted taking her to the vet, but because the vet couldn't find anything wrong last time. Finally, yesterday, I tried yet a different kind of food. I don't know if it was the new food or if she is recovering from whatever was ailing her, but I'm no longer debating whether I'll have to take her to be put down this week or next.*
     The best news is that in two days I'll be in Alburquerque with Aunt and Uncle de-I, where I intend to eat green chile and drink much red wine.


*I never thought I'd become one of those people who has a cat on anti-anxiety meds or buys different foods to placate their finicky eating habits. But, (1) a cat on drugs is actually a much nicer cat to have around and (2) if I think a creature is actually near starvation I will buy pretty much anything.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Glad you are beginning to get over the flu - and that Molly is now eating.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Can't wait to see you! We have lots of green chili and red wine.

alexis said...

I'm sorry to hear it's been so rough!! But glad to hear things are on the up now for cat and human alike.

de-I said...

The flu is horrible period. Let us know if you need any sober periods during the red wine binge.