Saturday, June 02, 2018

What I get paid to do

Once every few months, I end up running a workshop or a conference. Today was a 40-person meeting where we helped teach professors and graduate students how to run conferences, since every January we run about a dozen of them simultaneously to encourage women to keep studying physics.

It's sometimes hard to understand what someone else does when it's not your field. For example, my cousin AinA works in sales, which I know means she tries to convince people to buy stuff, but I'm not actually quite sure what she does all day long.* If you've ever wondered what I do, you're in luck today. Nature is one of the most prestigious science journals in the world, and this week they published something about a project that my department works on. If you want to read about the types of things I do, you can here, or you can listen to the podcast here (minutes 0-7).


*In truth, I suspect that the answer for my cousin is the same as the answer for me: we write emails for a living.

3 comments:

de-I said...

Wait...let me get this right...your job is to put on conferences to teach others how to put on conferences? So your job is the self-perpetuation of what you do.

Bernice said...

The article and podcast were amazing. Thanks for sharing those.

alexis said...

That was pretty cool, I definitely get what you do a bit more. Such good work too! Never mind my work remains a mystery. ;)