Friday, July 06, 2018

New Bathroom, Part 6

And another weekend of bathroom fun has come and gone. Once again, my father planned, my friends and I worked, and my mother cooked. A lot of progress has been made, but that will be saved for another day, because I'm not taking pictures of the inside of the house until I've had time to clean up the tremendous mess we've made.

There was a lot of work that needed to be done outside this time. Bathrooms have a surprisingly large number of connections to the outdoors: fans need to vent the humid air and the plumbing has to vent to the outside so you don't get sewer gases inside. It is the "v" part of the DWV system here if you really want to learn more, otherwise I'll spare the rest of the readers.) It was unfortunate timing, as the weather was in the high 90s (35C) and pretty much as humid as it gets.

My roof is also quite steep, 40 degrees. This steepness in great in one regard - it's probably the reason my 20-year-old roof is leak-free - but it's scary when you are thinking about climbing on it. Luckily, my father was unfazed. He built braces and scaffolds and we got it all done without a single broken bone.
My friend S installs a vent. The scaffold was screwed into the roof, and my job was to steady the ladder. 
My father installs another vent. We built a wooden ladder, then hauled it up to the roof and screwed it down. It was so steep that tools kept falling into the gutter.
My mother did the catering for the entire weekend. Tacos with fresh corn tortillas and homemade cherry ice cream. Takeout Salvadoran food, and delicious burgers. Some people managed more than one, like N.

4 comments:

de-I said...

Don't like heights...so I would just fast forward to the burgher

Gill - UK said...

No ladder - no problem - just make one for the occasion.
This new bathroom is certainly allowing the creative opportunities to display their creativity along with their practical skills.

Bernice said...

As you may have noticed, the important job for Renee Michelle was to hold the ladder.

alexis said...

wow I am totally in awe of how much creativity and work is going into this bathroom. I will not whinge if/when we ever pay some other people to do bathroom work for us.