Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Water

     Water is currently the bane of my existence. It has been raining far more than usual in DC. Along with fact that this makes biking less pleasant, camping damper, and the grass grow faster, it has flooded my basement. Usually, after a few days, everything dries up just fine, but this time the damp patches turned into small, shallow rivers, and my walls started molding. Mold is Bad News, of course, but the good news is that it's not black mold and probably isn't going to make us really ill. However, it still needed to be removed.
     On Sunday afternoon I returned from my camping trip (Summary:  beautiful canoeing on Saturday and lovely friends who sat with me under tarps in the rain the next day) and went down to the basement to deal with the mold. While I was down there formulating my plan, I realized the basement sink was flooding rather than draining. So I reprioritized and spent the next two days trying to clear the drains. And I was 95% successful. Taking apart the drain didn't work, so I had to cut into the vertical drain PVC pipe, install a Y connector for access, and snake the pipes. See that lovely degree Y and access cap? I installed it, and the drain, well, drains now. I must admit that there is a teeny tiny drip where I installed it, which is why I only give myself a 95%.
     While I was working on the pipes, I realized that my furnace was gurgling. Furnaces shouldn't really have anything, ever, to do with water, so this was more bad news. I have again reprioritized my home disaster list, and will try to solve the excess water from the A/C problem tonight. Hopefully I can start on the mold tomorrow. And if I'm lucky, it will finally stop raining by the weekend so I can put my damp tent out to air. Please send very dry thoughts my way.

6 comments:

de-I said...

Ah the joys of home ownership. But think of what this is doing to expand your DIY cred!

Oddly enough, here, water issues are rarely our problem...and we have no basements.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I might add that I am so proud of this plumbing installation that I have considered making that photo my desktop photo on my computer.

Gill - UK said...

Impressive plumbing skills - but what did you have to do to 'snake the pipes'?

alexis said...

I think you should be extremely proud of your DIY-womanship. That's seriously impressive. I only wish your house would give you less opportunities to expand your skill set.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Sending you dry weather blessings. Oh, and send the rain to NM!!