Thursday, September 12, 2019

Segovia

Just to prove that I haven't been spending ALL my time conjugating verbs or drinking beer with other students (although, admittedly, that has been a lot of my time), here are some tourist-type things I saw.
 I went to Segovia on the weekend, which is a short train/bus trip from Madrid. It's most famous for it's well-preserved Roman aqueduct. This brought water from the nearby mountains. Now that I have installed plumbing and understand that the pipes can be neither to steep nor too shallow, I am doubly-impressed that they could maintain a one-degree angle for so many kilometers.
I climbed a tower to take a great picture. There were lots of tourists, but it wasn't outrageous. Coming in September has been a nice compromise to avoid most of the heat and tourists of summer.
According to the brochure, this is the last Gothic cathedral that was built in Spain. Gothic certainly looks more cheerful when it's yellow stone and not gray.

3 comments:

de-I said...

Haven't been to Segovia yet. Cordova and its former mosque/cathedral is pretty impressive if you head back down to Andalusia.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Looks like a lovely tourist day!

alexis said...

omg I haven't thought of Segovia in ages - it is indeed a very nice place to visit.