Friday, September 06, 2019

Vacation reflections

When I spend a lot of time speaking a language other than English, I swing between feeling proud of my progress and horrified at how poorly I'm doing. On the first day I had to introduce myself and I did just find until I had to explain what level Spanish I speak, and then I slipped into a bit of German without realizing it. And today we reviewed verb tenses, where I counted that I know about six verb tenses, and that means I only have about 11 more to go. There's lots to keep me humble here.

On the other hand, it has been much easier to slip back into the routine since this is my second time in Madrid. I already had my favorite grocery store bookmarked on Google maps, and I already know that I want to spend lots of time at my favorite park but can skip much of the other tourist stuff this time around.

Along with enjoying myself, I'm also trying to start evaluating what I'd like to do when I'm done working. Would I like to live in Spain? Is that even possible, visa-wise?  I've been spending more time talking to locals and other travelers, quizzing them on their experiences in this city. One longer-term resident said he hates the weather, but my Internet research says that the average monthly temperatures are almost exactly the same in Madrid and DC, and it's less humid here. I have disliked the lack of A/C in my rental apartment, but I have been assured that its not hard to find a longer-term rental with A/C, so that doesn't seem like a deal-breaker for me. I do find it hard to adapt to the Spanish schedule of very late nights, but if I didn't have to wake up early for morning classes, I think I could adapt.

Wherever I end up, I apparently need to prioritize natural light. I expect that at some point I will sell my house and move into a small apartment, whether it is in downtown DC or in Madrid. The apartment I rented here is clean and in a walkable area, but because the only windows look onto a narrow courtyard with walls reaching four stories high, I can't tell whether it is day or night in the apartment and I dread spending time there. It's good to learn about this personal requirement now, when I have a two-week lease rather than a two-year lease. Also, 170 square feet (19 square meters) is a really tiny space, but I think I could manage this if I could choose appropriately sized furniture. (Pro tip: don't put in so much furniture that you can't close the bedroom or bathroom doors.) 

6 comments:

de-I said...

How expensive is the cost of living in Madrid? I suppose it cannot be worse the DC

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That's a good question. The calculators say that it is about 30-40% cheaper to live in Madrid than DC. Salaries are 40% lower in Madrid, but if I've done all my earning in DC, that will work out to my advantage.

Of course, I know I would end up spending more on travel, both inside Europe and to visit family, but maybe I can balance that out with the incredibly cheap wine and beer here ? :)

de-I said...

Yes! Of Course!

The more cheap wine and beer you drink, the more you will save!

Brilliant!

Bernice said...

It seems you are learning a lot besides Spanish.

alexis said...

I didn't know Madrid was so high up on the list! But you don't have to live there forever, so you can try it for as long as you like I suppose. :)

Anonymous said...

RM, I can tell you, with virtually 100% certainty, that more than 99% of native spanish speakers don't know all the tenses in our language.
Knowing 6 of them is probably more than the average native speaker. Be proud of yourself! Maybe at some point we can do star trek night in spanish! =)
Cheers,
R