Thursday, October 17, 2019

Bathroom Construction

I'm woefully behind on everything in my life that is not work or sleep. And honestly, I'm lacking a bit in the sleep department. I have temporarily relaxed my very firm work-life balance rule for the chance to take more of a lead on writing a grant proposal. It's a great professional opportunity and I'm learning a ton, but it does mean I haven't been doing much else for the past month.

In fact, my parents had a visit planned in early October which I almost cancelled because I couldn't imagine spending two weekend days not working . But I didn't and it turned out great. We were able to celebrate the "End of other people helping me with bathroom construction," which, you'll note, is not exactly the same as saying the bathroom is done.

I now have a shower that is mainly waterproof on three sides. We glued up the shower surround and designed a curtain rod that would work on a sloped ceiling. What's left is caulking the edges and making a customized shower curtain and then I'll have a working shower. In theory, this is something that I can do myself, but I already hit a design challenge significant enough that I'm going to have to do a long-distance consultation with my father.
 My father figured out a way to secure all three sides simultaneously while the glue dries.
We needed to put up waterproof material on the ceiling, and you had to wait for the adhesive to get tacky. This is my mother and I literally watching paint glue dry on a Saturday night.

So, I'm not done but the end is within shouting distance.

5 comments:

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

What are you going to do to celebrate when it is all finished? Throw an open house!

Bernice said...

No, Gloria, it will be an open bathroom. It will be limited as to the guest list. Bathroom only holds a few people.

alexis said...

LMAO - I love that picture of you and your mom. But what an awesome project to do with your parents!

de-I said...

It seems that at the rate the shower is being done you could combine the open bathroom party with your retirement party.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Hah! You all have been such a supportive cheering section for the bathroom construction. I like the idea of combining the bathroom open house with my retirement. In that case, I don't need to rush to finish the shower...