Monday, August 10, 2020

Scenes from a garden

August is the season when you just give in to the tide of green things growing.* Sure, the squash has taken an extra 3 meters of yard space and the tomatoes are so tall that they are breaking their support stakes.** Everything is growing like gangbusters because even the plants know that the summer will soon be over and that their lives are brief. I can tolerate the garden disorder and the huge piles of produce because I know that in a few short weeks, September will be here and I'll have to console myself with the few fall crops of peas and turnips. But for those who garden vicariously, here's what it looks like at my house.

The back (aka vegetable) garden has burst forth from the garden borders and has annexed parts of the lawn.

Ah, the halcyon days of last week when I was still excited about the first tomatoes.
Now, the tomatoes are winning.
The front flower garden looks as worn out from the heat as I am. 

Figs! It looks like a bumper crop this year. I harvested my first couple of quarts this evening.

I have canned pickles three times, a good excuse to eat lots of burgers this winter.

*To my cousin AinA, I just read your blog post summarizing the garden failures of 2020. I swear I'm not trying to rub it in.
**Many thanks to my friend S who tended my garden while I was on vacation and saved at least one cherry tomato plant.

6 comments:

jonathan goldstein said...

Looks bountiful!

de-I said...

Tomato confit! reduces the volume and concentrates the flavor.

Joe Redish said...

Do your figs have wasps in them?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Joe, I think the answer is yes! But I try not to think about it too much.

For those of you who don't know about fig wasps, read more:

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/fig-wasp1.htm

alexis said...

lol, RM, I take no offense but I am jealous of those pickles

Gill - UK said...

What a difference it makes to have a garden full of produce - and then the work begins on preserving etc.
Well done RM