Saturday, December 04, 2021

Waiting

The dental work has turned out to be more complicated than expected. I have two root canals scheduled, one in a little over a week, and one the following week. For those keeping score at home, that will mean almost a full month of not eating real food. In fact, I have cancelled travel and given up chewing, exercise, alcohol, and spending time with friends to devote myself to resting extensively, taking painkillers, and occasionally being quite sad. 

I think I am working with an excellent endodontist (aka "root canal doctor"), in contrast to the dentist who has advised me poorly and then has ignored all of my follow-up calls. While I now know what needs to be done to my mouth, there were simply no appointments available in the next two weeks. My guess is this is a result of the Great Recession (I've read there are significant staffing shortages in the dental industry) paired with everyone delaying their dental work during COVID.

I'm trying hard not to wish that December was over. I strongly believe that it's important to enjoy whatever you can from each day of life, even when it's an awful day. But I'll also admit to putting on my pajamas at 6pm most nights so I can feel like the day is done. I am absolutely sure this is going to get better, and I'm very aware that some people suffer pain like this for years. That can help build my empathy skills, but I'll still keep wishing that everyone could be pain free.

6 comments:

Gill - UK said...

I wish you well with all your forthcoming dentistry - you certainly are being brave.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Yes - hang in there. There will be pain-free days in your future!

Joe Redish said...

So sorry to hear about your travails. I've had a toothache for about 6 weeks that was finally solved by a root canal but it took 7 dental appointments to resolve it. I hope it solves your problems. That nagging pain can drive you crazy! Be careful not to take too many analgesics (especially aspirin and NSAIDS). Too much of them can cause more problems that you definitely don't want to get into! Courage ma vielle!

de-I said...

Hugs

alexis said...

I have been mulling over something I read in a book about the brain regarding the role of emotions. How they have gotten a bad rap, positioned as the antithesis of how one ought to approach decisions. Yet they play a critical role and purely logical people actually make horrendous life decisions. So if you're body and emotions are pointing towards a 6pm pajama hour, I would just like to say I was wearing pajamas at about that time my local hour and I have had no epic dental journey or continual pain.

Hoping the root canals help solve the problems though!!!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Joe, yes, I'm watching the drugs very carefully and exactly following the doctor's orders! I know that over-the-counter medicines side effects are not to be underestimated.

Thanks to everyone else for the good wishes!