Friday, May 13, 2022

Annapolis in Style

I recently stayed in Annapolis, which is so close (a 45-minute drive) that the only reason we could call it a vacation is that we brought suitcases. We were there to celebrate L's 40th birthday, and we were able to do it in style because my friend CA knew someone who loaned us their vacation house. 

Located on the Chesapeake Bay, Annapolis is the capital of Maryland and known mainly for seafood, the US Naval Academy, and it's brief stint as the capital of the US in the 1780's. We spent most of our time strolling the narrow streets and visiting antique shops. We also splurged on a seafood meal, confirming my finding that seafood restaurants are even worse that steakhouses at providing vegetarian options. 
The view from the back patio was stunning. Honestly, though, I was most wowed by the fox that trotted through the back yard in the evening. I have never seen one up close before.  
We tried our best to look glamorous.
The town has a tradition of flower baskets and arrangements displayed on May Day. I thought the Blood Mary-inspired arrangement was particularly clever.

Unfortunately, we all returned to our homes infected. Both of my friends were had COVID, and I was hit with something that knocked me out for a week, but was not COVID. We are all recovering well, but it was not quite the final flourish we were hoping for. Luckily for me, I'm completely well and will be able to continue with some previously-planned travel.

4 comments:

de-I said...

Sorry you got the bug so bad.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

That view looks stunning!

alexis said...

oh my gosh, I had forgotten how beautiful Annapolis was. Was it worth the disease afterwards? I hope so.

Gill - UK said...

What a relaxing way to start your holiday - and the flower arrangements look as though they were judged and awarded rosettes.