Friday, May 27, 2022

Hablo español, un poco

I'm in Quito, Ecuador! It's my first time outside the country since 2020 and it's delightful. I scheduled my first day for just walking around and soaking up the scenery. Which primarily seems to be baroque churches, quite frankly. I didn't include any photos with this post, but if you can just imagine every wall, ceiling, and column covered with gold gilt intricate carving, you'll be reliving my day.

The best thing happened at the Quito Astronomical Observatory. It's pretty old as these things go in the New World (founded 1873) and still seems to be quite active in public engagement in the community.

When I walked up to pay the entrance fee, one of the attendants heard my accented Spanish and told me he had a proposal. I was momentarily apprehensive, as proposals to single clueless women tourists have the potential to be a problem. But he wanted to offer me free entrance in return for proofreading their short brochure about the observatory for English speaking visitors. I mean, I'm a physicist and a former writing tutor, I was not going to say no. I got the chance to be useful and then geeked out on nineteenth century sextants and meteorological equipment for a few hours.


This evening my brain hurts from talking, reading, and thinking in Spanish so much. Several people have complimented my Spanish, but I think they says more about the kindness of Ecuadorians than my skills. I mean, sure, if you are willing to talk to me slowly and stick to the present tense, I can usually follow and respond. But throw in a jest or am unexpected conversational direction and I'm lost. So I am simultaneously encouraged and discouraged with my language skills today. But I know I'll get it eventually.

5 comments:

de-I said...

That was very cool to get that opportunity at the observatory.

I don't think the compliments are disingenuous. It is rare for English speakers to even try to speak another country's language. I get smiles just from using a few phrases or words of politeness when we are traveling for the same reason.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That's a really good point, Uncle de-I.

Shaela said...

I complement people on their English sometimes. It is never out of kindness - always genuine appreciation of the talents of another.

alexis said...

That is the coolest thing in the entire world ever! I want to go there just to say I know the person who proofread the English pamphlet. And had no idea Ecuador was on your radar! Have a great time!

Gill - UK said...

Three very contrasting visits - and being able to use your Spanish during your current visit. I am better at reading French than speaking the language, but I put that down to the language teaching methods when I was at school, many moons ago.