Friday, June 03, 2022

Animals, Up Close: The Galapagos

The big trip for June, and really for all of 2022, was the Galapagos. My parents and I took a tour, really a small cruise, this past week. This destination must be on everyone's bucket list, because whenever I mentioned it, people would get far more excited than when I framed it as a trip to Ecuador. 

I could summarize the trip in a few words: amazing animals, continuous lack of sleep, and then massive illness. So probably not a trip I'll be recommending for others, although I don't regret going.

What's this? It's a blue footed boobie. All the birds, sea lions, and iguanas were completely unfazed by humans. Because there are no mammal predators on the islands, they pretty much ignore people. Birds build nests in the middle of the path, and it's your job to make sure you don't step on then or their eggs. That's also why your small group is always carefully shepherded by a park ranger every minute of the day.
A demonstration of how close you can get.

My father, happy before the dreadful illness began. (That's called foreshadowing.)
Albatrosses, the largest birds on the islands. They court by closing y beaks together, like fencers.
Marine iguanas exist only on the Galapagos. They lie in great heaps that look like there has been a momentous reptile battle.

I refused to buy special trekking clothes so I wore my vintage clothes.

Halfway through the trip we realized there was something going around the ship. Over half of the passengers and crew got sick with what was probably a Norovirus. It was pretty unpleasant, and my mother ended up going to the hospital to get fluids. (Both my parents are on the road to recovery, thank you for asking.) I have not gotten sick yet, but I won't really feel safe until I've been home for a few days.

Separate from illness, it just wasn't really clear to us why so many people dream of this trip. It was cool to see animals up close, but to do so you travel in small, uncomfortable boats for a week or two. I have also realized that I value travel more when I accomplish something- learning about Stoicism and practicing my Spanish recently felt really good. For this cruise, you just spend a great deal of money for people to shepherd you around and show you where to point your cameras. 

So, if this is your dream, don't let me stop you. But I'm really looking forward to being back in my own bed in a couple of days, and I don't see any guided tours or cruises in my near future.

4 comments:

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

An interesting take on what is most likely on most people's bucket-list. It is too bad everyone got sick - what an awful way to end the trip!

Gill - UK said...

Sorry to hear about the sickness, but fortunately your mother was able to get the sort of help she needed.
As for going to the Galapagos, it's good to hear an appraisal from someone who has done the visit.
A friend went on a boat trip in the southern Atlantic - penguin watching. Her opinion - Once you've seen one penguin, you've seen them all.
I think I'll stick to David Attenborough documentaries.

alexis said...

it is good to know the full experience, I think I may pass although I'd still like to go to Easter Island. Probably similar experience however!

de-I said...

Wife and I, having had a similar experience in Vietnam, can relate. Is scary. But didn't keep us from still traveling.