Friday, June 17, 2022

The Not So Secret Garden

Tonight I sat behind my house in the twilight and sipped a drink while I watched the fireflies blinking and the bat swooping. This is one of my favorite ways to spend a summer evening. If I were a poet, I´d write a sonnet about my garden, which is pretty much the best part of my house. And when I say garden, I mean that in both the American sense (flowers and vegetables) but also the English sense (green space surrounding the house).

I wanted to sell my house in the fall specifically so that I could enjoy the garden for another season. I am even trying to space out my trips so that I can weed and plant and water in between being gone each month. It took me almost a week after my Galapagos trip to get everything back under control after being away for nine days.

Already, I am harvesting zucchini and peas and lots of flowers. And I keep encouraging the little tomatoes to grow, grow, grow.  Since I am not  freezing anything for later, I have also had lots to share, and fresh grown produce makes a lot of people happy, it turns out. 

I know I won´t have any place to grow anything at all in Madrid, at least at the beginning. But if I find I really need to be able to play around in the dirt, I comfort myself that I can move. It may take some time to decide where I want to settle down.

5 comments:

de-I said...

Your garden has truly become a work of art.

Gill - UK said...

I'm sure you will find a garden when you are settled in Spain. It adds so much to a home to be able to sit out in your own space, knowing that it is there because you have taken the trouble to work at it.

Shaela said...

This is beautiful, Renee Michelle!

alexis said...

I agree, I think the hunger for green things will assert itself at some point - even if it is just house plants!

Bernice said...

I think I should have you make a flower garden plan for around my house. Yours is to beautiful.