Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Sleet, nuts, and beautiful views

We just finished day four of the cycling trip and it is still awesome. 25 miles per day is definitely doable, even at my piddly 6 mile per hour speed. The path follows an old train track, which parallels the Monongahela and Youghiogheny rivers. We have been slowly but surely climbing in elevation, and sometime soon we'll start descending. The river plus fall color makes for spectacular views.
We had nice weather for a while, but today it turned quite cold and rainy. It was a pleasant surprise to find that our rain gear worked well, even when we encountered sleet. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain more or less continuously, but it just so happens to be the planned rest day. So rather than a hike, I'm thinking that staying in with a cup of tea and a book is a far better choice.

Food had been a bit of a challenge on this trip. The towns are very small and sometimes only have options like a sandwich shop that is open on alternate Thursdays or an all pork restaurant. On top of that, my gut has been iffy and some days pizza or cheese sandwiches feel like more than I can handle. Here R showcases our trusty companions on the trip, peanuts and almonds. They have gotten me through many lunch-less afternoons.
Accomodations are a mix of inns, BNBs, and Airbnbs. I apparently did very little research and forgot all details after I paid the deposits, so every night is a surprise. Last night we stayed in a converted one car garage that faced a busy street (earplugs thoughtfully provided for all guests) run by a hotelier who actively disliked us (not all the guests, just us). Tonight is a lovely half of a tiny duplex facing the river that is blissfully silent. It's a surprise every day.

3 comments:

Bernice said...

It sounds like a great adventure. I can only imagine how it is riding by the river with the fall colors. (I am a bit envious).

de-I said...

An owner who actually actively dislikes you. That's a change. Can I write the review you give him/her? I am good a scathing reviews.

alexis said...

goodness, your totally cool calm on all the ups and downs is very laudable!