Sunday, October 16, 2022

The GAP

I had scheduled a vacation for this week, which is turning out to be a welcome respite from selling furniture and wondering if the house will sell. (In fact, the first buyer has fallen though but we are trying again with a second buyer.)

Earlier this year I decided to try a cycling trip. This took some planning, because I wanted to avoid the hot summer months and because the route I planned had limited hotel capacity. I am cycling the Great Allegheny Passage (aka the GAP) a 150-mile trail that stretches from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Cumberland, Maryland. Many people do this in the or four days, camping along the way. I am not very fast and cannot carry a lot of weight, so I planned a seven day trip, with stays in inns and BNBs. 

My parents were kind enough to visit me right before the bike trip, so they could drive me and the bike to the starting point. At the last minute, my cycling friend R decided to join me.

The fall colors are really beautiful right now and the weather was great for the first two days. However, they are predicting a cold spell for the next few days, so I will be glad I brought my thermals.


It has been delightful so far, as long as you consider minor inconveniences as part of the adventure. The first AirBnB was at the end of a three mile climb on a road with too much traffic. And then I ordered delivery so spicy I couldn't eat it, and we were far from other options. But all in all, it's been a way more enjoyable than my Galapagos vacation, so I'm content.


4 comments:

de-I said...

I will be enjoying all your posts! Is always tough trying to find that bite to eat after a tiring day.

Bernice said...

I am looking forward each post as you go along.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

I think it is halarious that you compare this bike trip to the Galapagos trip!

alexis said...

wow you are really getting your cycling chops!