Saturday, April 22, 2023

The beauty of stuff

I´ve been without a permanent home for roughly six months. I haven´t been couchsurfing* the whole time, of course, because I have been the guest at the condo of the generous and welcoming J and S (the parents of N) in Gainesville. But I have been alternating between a home with extraordinary little furnishing and other people´s homes, and I now better appreciate the having of stuff. I´ve always leaned toward the minimalist side of the spectrum. When I was younger, I dreamed of owning just a few hundred items. However, it turns out that not only is stuff useful, it is reassuring to have it. 

It is a challenge when cold weather hits and you discover that there are not enough blankets for you and your houseguest. (Sorry about that, S!) It is nice when you own more than one bowl, so you can invite someone to lunch. And it is nice to know where the stuff is, and what it looks like. For example, I have cooked my go-to meal, spaghetti, in many homes in the last six months. I always know there will be some way to remove the noodles from the boiling water, but I don´t know if it will be a slotted spoon, a strainer, or a pair of tongs, and where I will find the thing. You can use quite a bit of brainpower figuring out how to conduct regular routines in new places, and I will be happy it when I end up in a more permanent place with furnishings. 

It has been interesting to observe the limits of my minimalism, and to appreciate owning things. But do not mistake my complaints - I still like my current life a great deal more than when I was working!

*Plus, most of my friends have actual guest rooms, and that is a 1000% improvement over living room couches. College-age me could only dream of this luxury.

5 comments:

Michael Podolny said...

I am very appreciative of your observations.

Sue said...

That being said we appreciate all the help and support at the condo with the stuff.We’ll be here when you get ready to come down to 352.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

It has been great to follow your journey getting to Spain. Congrats on your appointment a the embassy!

Shawn Goertzen said...

I understand where you are coming from on this. When we did our longer trip, I missed having tools to fix things. A pair of pliers is super handy.

alexis said...

I did literally laugh out loud at this post. It is really interesting because that extra mental load of travel is what I think my parents love about travel. A balance between the two is perhaps more ideal