Saturday, May 13, 2023

All systems go!

 I will soon bid adieu to this side of the Atlantic.

After ten years of saving, four years os developing a plan, and six months of paperwork, it looks like I am really going to Spain! I was notified by the Spanish consulate in Miami that I had been assigned an appointment time.* This entire process had been somewhat opaque, so I wasn´t quite sure it I had been approved, or if I´d need to provide extra documentation and have an interview. I arrived an hour early, walked around the block until the right time, and then presented myself, clutching my color-coded, labeled, translated (but never stapled) documents. After verifying that I did, in fact, have an appointment, my passport was taken and I was sent to the waiting room. Forty-five minutes later, they handed me a passport with the visa glued inside and wished me good luck. And that was it! I had braced myself for an ordeal, having heard stories of other consulates, but all for naught.

So, wheels are turning. I plan to leave for Spain in early July. In the meantime, I need to pack up everything in Gainesville, say goodbye to the friends I´ve made here, and do a few more trips to DC and Ohio. Oh, and research approximately a million things: how to open a bank account, how to register with the police, where to buy second hand furniture, how to ship my things to Madrid... Stay tuned for more adventures in bureaucracy!

*The exact phrasing was, ¨We are awaiting you on Tuesday, May 9." It just tickled me to picture them resting graciously until I was granted an audience with them.

3 comments:

de-I said...

We are so excited for you and happy that the launch part of your Mission has been accomplished. Now time to change the name of your blog. How about Expating with Renee Michelle?

alexis said...

OMG this is so exciting for you!!! Full steam ahead for you now. So excited to have you near-ish soon.

Shaela said...

That's awesome! I imagine someone peeking at you and your documents from behind an office divider and going, "Just give her the visa, quick!"