Sunday, June 04, 2023

Americana and oddities

Spending time in the Midwest in June feels very American. When I went with my parents to the town square to listen to the community band, I thought about how long it might be before I again sit with a group of people who can hum along to Stars and Strips Forever and all the other patriotic songs that are played at concerts like this. And how nice it is to go somewhere and just bump into people that you know - it will take many years in a new city before I experience that. 

I decided that it was time to repeat that smash success from 2020, parent-daughter summer camp. You can take me out of my project management job, but you can´t make me stop being a project manager. I suspect that this both delights and annoys my friends in equal measure, but luckily my parents are quite tolerant of my planning tendencies. 
And now for more roadside attractions from my travels...
From the Garment District in Manhattan. I continue to be a fan of anything larger than life.
A twenty-foot tall quarter. 
Probably the world´s oldest operating roller coaster. This is definitely a picture of the amusement park in Altoona, Pennsylvania which has said world-famous coaster, but I couldn´t really pick it out among the rest. I´m sure Altoona is very proud of it, in any case.

3 comments:

de-I said...

From what I observed, you will have more than enough new local holidays and festivals to enjoy in Spain.

alexis said...

awww I did get nostalgic looking at the park concert!

Bernice said...

Well, we got most everything done on the list. Missed one bonfire and somethings were not completed when we had hoped.