Tuesday, July 04, 2023

And I'm off!


My flight to Madrid leaves this evening. I currently own 175 pounds of worldly goods, valued at $300 by the Spanish government and $3000 by me. (I mean, do you know how long it would take me to recreate a custom made wardrobe of vintage woolen clothing?) If the fates allow, I will arrive in Madrid in what is their Wednesday afternoon. The most urgent items are to get over jet lag, open a bank account, and buy a new electric toothbrush.
Yesterday, we celebrated the Fourth of July and my departure with a very American cookout. It was delightful and I felt loved.

The day before, I took a 30-mile/ 48km bike ride with N and R, my long time biking friends. We gorged ourselves on the wild raspberries and blackberries lining the trail and suffered through what one of them called 175% humidity. I will not have air-conditioning for my first month on Madrid, but that ride made me appreciate that dryness does make heat more bearable.

The rest of my belongings, which will arrive in either two days or two months, depending on Spanish customs authorities.

Honestly, I am not very excited right now. I am tired and know how much work and discombobulation are ahead of me. But I'm also older and wiser than when I lived outside the country twenty years ago, which means I have confidence that all of this will be worth it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Renee Michelle, you have worked hard to reach your goal and the journey begins!

Nicholas said...

So excited for you and looking forward to the updates. It was great spending the last few days with you in the US. Good luck in Spain!!

alexis said...

Uber-duber congrats!!!! And I'm super excited to see that finally, 18 years after my failed attempt to move to Madrid, another member of the family will achieve it. Any time you need to chat or bounce feelings during your move - ping me! Of course you may have a closer knit group of people who are going through that at the same time, that is a great circle to cultivate too.

de-I said...

I can totally understand the feeling of being exhausted rather than excited. You've worked incredibly hard to achieve this opportunity. Now you are going to live it.

Krin said...

Thinking of you as you embark on a new adventure/chapter. Let it roll however slow, or bumpy. Right now biking the Cumberland gap trail 88 miles of it, and rode the Katy Trail in Missouri 230 miles in June! Keep on pedaling🚴‍♂️😊Krin