Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Back to school

When I tell Spaniards that I am retired, they are generally confused and perhaps think that I don't know what I'm saying. Early retirement is rare in the US, but it is almost impossible in Spain, given how taxes work here. So I often tell them that my visa doesn't allow me to work and that my job this year is to learn Spanish. That is turning out to be truer them I expected.

I was able to enroll in one of the intensive Spanish classes offered by the local government. I attend four days per week, 2.5 hours per day. Add in my two languages exchange partners, and I'll be spending almost thirty hours per week either learning or commuting to my lessons. After a year and a half of retirement, this feels like a huge constraint, especially because the evening classes mean I won't be able to do many social activities. But I'm hoping that if I put my head down, I can make some serious progress by the end of the semester.

Yesterday was my first day. The teacher is great - I think it might be a universal retirement that people teaching immigrants be enthusiastic and encouraging, the same way kindergarden teachers are. The students in my class come from all by over Europe and China, but I am the only native English speaker.

I am normally nervous starting new things, but not yesterday.  Classes can be intimidating because I have to talk to new people and there are exams that I want to do well on. In this case, I am already living a daily language exam, and school can only make it easier.


First day of school photos are compulsory, 
even if you are 48.

9 comments:

de-I said...

Glad, all the stress of the school application process has led to success!

Good first day at school photo!

Sue said...

Sooo happy for you. I know it will be exhausting so plan to take extra good care of yourself. Wish I could be a fly on the wall and take the class. I so wish I could speak/understand Spanish . Great first day photo,too. Oh just read in the wsj that 50 fashions are now in vogue. Congratulations

Valerie Keebler Paul said...

Congrats and happy first day of school!

alexis said...

omg - go you for diving into it! Your Spanish is going to be incredible and it will open so many doors socially when you can do stuff in the local language.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Congrats for signing up for the class and paying for it on-line successfully!

Anonymous said...

Any native German speakers?
Good luck!

Felix B., Miami, FL said...

Renee Michelle! Me parecen estupendo que quieras mejorar tu español. Cuando quieras practicar o aclarar alguna duda, no vaciles en dejarmelo saber. Un gran abrazo!

A's Mum said...

That's some serious learning taking place, but the rewards will be worth it.
Did you make your dress? It looks good and the colour suits you.

Krin R Cosner said...

Tu es muy valiente hacer todo y empezar un nuevo capítulo (chapter)