Tuesday, September 05, 2023

Everything is new

 Rain!

I don't know if this is typical, but the changing of the seasons came very suddenly. A few days after I returned from Asturias, we had a few drops of rain and suddenly the weather was in the high 20s instead of the high 30s. Last weekend I found myself walking (with an umbrella, thankfully) in the pouring rain! It was delightful! Everyone has returned from holiday. It's not yet quite the kind of autumn where you're kicking through leaves and eating warm soup, but now that seems like something that could happen someday.

The end of summer means a return to normal life in the city, and I hope to set up something like a regular schedule. The first step is trying to enroll in Spanish classes. The key word here is "trying".There are many private schools that cost a fortune, but in return they make it easy for you to enroll and give them money. In contrast, the government run schools are affordable but come with bureaucracy. I spent three days reading and filling out the forms, and this week I take two two-hour placement exams. At the end I'm not even sure if I'll have be allowed to enroll, because I'm still not sure if I have followed the correct process.

Not following the correct procedure is more or less my life right now. As a new arrival, this constant state of uncertainty is really challenging. Along with the language, I'm learning the culture, history, geography, and bureaucracy. Let's say I want to buy something at a new grocery store. I might get lost on the way to the store (this happens all the time since I moved here). The store might not be open at the time I thought it was, or it might turn out not to be a grocery store. They might not sell that product in Spain. I might not have enough money on my transport card and then not understand how to pay cash on the bus. Almost all of these things have happened at least once, and this is just the grocery store, not even anything important, like a visa or applying to a school!

I am educated and have lots of time and (relatively) lots of money. This gives me an intense amount of respect for immigrants all over the world. It is really hard for me, and yet my experience is comparatively a walk in the park.

4 comments:

de-I said...

It is with humility that I read what you are experiencing and realize as much as I would love the experience of living in another country, I don't think I have the energy, resilience, or flexibility to deal with all these things anymore.

Anonymous said...

I’m glad your brain is so high functioning, because every little thing takes so much brain power!!! There are cool studies about how much “routine” we need in our day to feel comfortable. Spoiler- it’s not zero so you aren’t there yet. 😁
-Ellie

Shaela said...

You have just articulated so well the reason why I am always "done" after a week in a foreign country. Day 1: "I've got plenty of time and energy, I'll try the subway and walk the eight blocks through a medieval street maze from the subway stop to my hotel!" Day 7: "I bet the concierge speaks English and can order a car for me!"
Do you find the people (is there a term for citizens of Madrid?) to be helpful when you are lost/confused/ill-prepared? I remember when I was there a bus driver gave me unsolicited directions how to get from the stop to my hotel. I didn't *understand* the directions, but it was thoughtful anyway.

alexis said...

maybe I'll add for comparison's sake our experience. We moved from Amsterdam to Copenhagen last year. Everyone speaks brilliant English. You pay through the nose in taxes but everything runs mostly orderly. That being said, we haven't gotten our residence permits for year 2 and they're 3 months overdue