Monday, October 30, 2023

Visitors

Yay, my parents came to visit me! When I told my Spanish friends that my parents were coming for ten days, they were horrified that my parents were coming for such a short time. I guess to a Spaniard, a vacation is a minimum of two weeks. We Americans can't imagine using so much of our precious, rare vacation time at once. Even the retirees can still think this way.

Unfortunately, my father arrived with a cold that knocked him out. He spent more than half of the vacation sleeping. I was sorry for him, but also grateful that we didn't have once-in-a-lifetime plans. It was fine for him to just rest at their nearby Airbnb apartment while my mother and I checked out all the parks that would have bored him.

I am really pleased that I encouraged my parents to come visit so soon after I arrived. Now that they have seen my house and my neighborhood, they feel more connected to me. For me, their visit helped transition Spain from location where I am frequently bewildered and lost to a place where my friends and family visit me at home.

In the Royal Botanical Garden. The flowers are much prettier here in the fall, 
when they don´t have to battle the heat.
 My mother loved chocolate and churros. I will be indulging in this regularly during the winter season.

My father managed to stay awake and upright for a trip to the railway museum. Unfortunately, Madrid specializes in art and history museums, and is quite light on the machinery museums, so we will have to venture further afield for his next visit.

5 comments:

alexis said...

OMG I'm so glad they were able to come out to visit you! And the weather now in the autumn looks stunning. Gosh I used to love chocolate and churros in Spain. Haven't thought about it for ages.

de-I said...

I always thought the shortness of visits to family was more that there was only so much time either party really enjoys have visitors rather than the issue of feeling able to take an amount of time off.

I do love Spanish hot chocolate!

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

I'm so glad your Dad was feeling well enough to at least visit one museum of interest to him. It sounds like you and your Mom had a wonderful visit.

A's Mum said...

It looks like the weather was kind during their visit - I'm sure the reassurance was mutual.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that your “house” is now a “home!” Congratulations on the wondrousness of a visit from your loving parents - all in all, sounds great 🥰