Thursday, November 02, 2023

Who am I?


Someone I have been, and continue to be - a person who likes to drink coffee on the terrace

I've been thinking about identity a lot during my move to Spain. Identity is a construct that was studied a lot in my field. Although I'm no expert, it is I can roughly describe it as the type of person you see yourself as. You construct this picture from how other people treat you, what arenas you are successful in, whether people in that group treat you as one of them, etc. Some of my identities are a white person, cisgender female, a physicist, a good cook, a cyclist, a person good with money, even a Trekkie.
I knew that moving to a new country would mess with some of those identities. For example, I think of myself as an intelligent person who is mostly good at navigating the practical components of life. When I arrived, I could barely speak, so no one else could see those smarts, and I had so many experiences, such as not understanding the bus system or not knowing how to get internet installed, that I felt like someone who didn't know how to adult. I also expected that my American identity would become far more salient, although that turns out to be not quite right - I'm not an American here, I'm simply a foreigner, in a group with many other people who can't communicate well and don't know how the system works. Plus, it turns out that many people think I'm French, even if they haven't heard my first name.

But other identity changes were completely unexpected. For example, I see myself as a navigator, since I'm always the person in the group with the map telling everyone where to go next. But here, I seem to have lost my sense of direction. I don't know if it's the multitude of non-parallel streets, or if it's because most street signs are either high up on building sides or non-existent, but I get lost about a hundred times more frequently than in other countries I have lived in. Similarly, I have always been a short, petite person. I didn't even think of this as something that could change, except if I gained weight. But suddenly, in Spain, I am almost of average height for a woman. I can see the tops of many people's heads! And because the Spanish are also very thin, I feel of average weight or maybe a little over. There's nothing wrong with being tall or short or skinny or fat, it's just that I hadn't realized how culturally constructed it would be.

All of these changes are less disorienting as the months roll by. I already feel better about my ability to navigate things like the bureaucracy or the Metro system, and someday I will feel as confident about the subjunctive case as I do about quantum mechanics.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Loved reading this. You are also a deep thinker about yourself and so confident of yourself.I truly admire you so much. We will be missing you this thanksgiving but maybe we arrange a zoom call at a good time. I think everyone will be here. Keep o posting!

alexis said...

such a great post - we need to chat more cuz! Sounds like you're getting through a lot of the awkward stuff that may be temporary. My mom and I talked about the navigation aspect. In Chicago and Albuquerque I was always able to navigate tolerably well because they are largely grid systems and both have massive, visible geographic landmarks (mountains, lake) by which you can always orient yourself N/S/E/W. When I moved to Europe that all vanished and I have accepted my baseline for navigation is not super good, and only worse now that I have a husband who is better and likes orienting.

de-I said...

If you were younger, you could translate your height to an advantage on the basketball court. However, one would think that it is easier for you to reach things in the kitchen if said kitchen is designed for people of average height. Reading immigrants' stories, this is a natural occurrence. Even for people when they retire, change roles, move within a county, find their self-definitions and confidence in their previously defined self-worth shaken. However, I would caution the subjunctive tenses could be even more difficult than quantum physics.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

I had not thought of that aspect of moving to another country. My husband is so much better at navigation that I rely on him. If I had to rely on myself I would be lost most of the time! Or at least I would have to spend a lot more time figuring out where I was going.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that manners didn't feature in this post. I think of you as someone who goes to some pains to be a well- mannered person, and behavioral expectations always stick out to me when I go to a new place. Do they hold doors open here? Do they greet people they pass on the street? Make eye contact with strangers? Touch each other? Stand closer than I expect?
Do you find it difficult to adjust to Spanish manners?
(This is Shaela, but it won't let me post a my Google account today!)

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Shaela, that is a good question! I will think more about how manners differ here and will try to write that up some time. I suspect that my Spanish is still poor enough that I´m not award all the time when I act in an unmannerly way...

A's Mum said...

You've taken the challenge and you are surviving admirably. I, too would have to consider about the subjunctive case - I'd have to read up on it, its been so long since I tried learning another language - but Quantum Mechanics - I leave that to the theoretical physicists.