Sunday, March 10, 2024

A Sunday adventure // Un aventura el domingo

 Cows // ¡Vacas!

The village Manzanares el Real // El pueblo de Manzanares el Real

La versión en español está después de la versión en inglés.

I recently had the opportunity to hike with friends. I began by taking the commuter rail north from Madrid for thirty minutes and was pleasantly surprised that the landscape became rural even in that short distance. My friends and a few of their co-workers met me there. The wind was fierce, and I was concerned for a while that this had been a bad idea. However it soon lessened and turned into a pleasant winter day.

We walked for almost 14 km (8 miles), through green pastures, fields, and a regional park. The route was almost entirely, but gently, uphill and the views were incredible- snow-topped mountains, a lake, and even cows. I am really happy to learn that nature is closer to my house than I realized.

We finished the hike in the village with beer and tapas. I was delighted to see storks living in the church tower, because that's not a something I see in the US and it still feels exotic. I hope to do this again sometime, even though I had to wake up early (well, early in comparison to my new Spanish schedule).

---- 

Recientemente, hice senderismo con amigos. Para ello, me fui en tren de Cercanías a treinta minutos del norte de Madrid. Me sentí sorprendida porque no sabía que el campo estuviera tan cerca de la ciudad. Mis amigos y algunas compañeras suyas nos encontramos allí. El viento estuvo fortísimo, y tuve miedo de que mi decisión de acompañarlos no fuera la correcta. Por suerte, después de poco tiempo el clima mejoró.

Caminamos casi catorce kilómetros durante pastos verdes, campos y un parque regional. Casi todo el camino era cuesta arriba, pero sin demasiada inclinación. Las vistas eran increíbles: montañas con nieve, un lago y algunas vacas. Me hizo feliz saber que la naturaleza estaba más cerca de mi casa de lo que yo pensaba.

Acabamos la ruta de senderismo en un pueblo con cerveza y tapas. Me alegró ver a cigüeñas que vivían en la torre de la iglesia. (Es raro ver cigüeñas en los EE. UU. y me parecieron exóticas). Espero repetirlo alguna vez, aunque tuviese que despertarme muy temprano para acompañar a mis amigos

7 comments:

de-I said...

Finding a place to go hiking only 30 minutes from a major city is pretty cool!

Sue said...

Fabulous so glad you got to see the real Spain. What were the tapa’s you had?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Susan: there were fried artichokes, fried potatoes, and fried calamari. The Spanish say that they eat healthy, but they also love fried food :)

A's Mum said...

The landscape looks so English, except for the unmade road - and the cows - I only spotted two - or is that usual in Spain to have very few cows on a farm?

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Sounds like a wonderful change of scenery!

alexis said...

that's quite a hike! Would love to get our kids up to those sorts of distances. I think they'd need an ice cream pit stop

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Gill, I´m not quite sure about how common cows are here. I will do more hiking and report back!