Sunday, March 17, 2024

Language exchanges // Intercambios

La versión en español está después de la versión en inglés.

There are a lot of skills that you have to master to speak a language: listening, reading, grammar, and speaking. When I arrived in Spain I knew I could work on some of those on my own, but I definitely needed someone to help me practice my spoken Spanish. That's the reason that I went to language exchanges. There are spots in Madrid where people get together to practice languages. Usually, there are a lot of Spanish people and a few foreigners, all who want to practice their English. So I went to a bunch of language exchanges, and when I met a Spaniard who could speak clearly and patiently, I would invite them to do individual exchanges. Some of them ended up not being a good fit, but at the end I found two excellent language partners.

First, there's F., who studies English because he is finishing up his studies to be a primary school teacher. In Spain, all teachers are required to speak English at a high level. He spends hours each day working on his English, and we meet twice a week. Since we're both teachers, we always use computers to take notes on each other's errors. We always speak for an hour in Spanish and then an hour in English. F has helped me a ton with the my blog entries, and I would not be able to write in Spanish like this without his help.

Next, there is R., who is a Madrid native and has studied English for years in an official government school, like I'm doing for Spanish. We meet weekly. R. loves Madrid history, so he often researches a historical topic and then tells me the story in English while we are walking. He has also been kind enough to be a tour guide to both my aunt and mother when they visited. I have learned a lot of Spanish, and a lot of history from R. 

I am really grateful to have two language exchange Partners who are now also friends

(Pictures below,)

-----

Hay muchas habilidades que se necesitan aprender para manejar bien un idioma, tales como: escuchar, leer, aprender gramática y hablar. Cuando llegué a España supe que podía practicar algunas cosas sola, pero también que necesitaba un compañero para mejorar mi español hablado. Por esa razón, quise hacer intercambios de idiomas. Hay lugares en Madrid donde las personas se reúnen para practicar idiomas. Normalmente, hay muchos españoles y algunos extranjeros que quieren mejorar su inglés. Por lo tanto, fui a algunas reuniones y cuando conocí a un español que hablaba claramente y pacientemente, le invité a un intercambio personal. Algunos compañeros no encajaban conmigo, pero al final encontré dos compañeros perfectos.

Por una parte, está F. que estudia inglés porque está acabando sus estudios para ser maestro y los maestros necesitan un nivel alto de inglés. Trabajaba muchas horas cada día en su inglés, y nos vemos dos veces cada semana. Como ambos somos profesores, siempre usamos los ordenadores para tomar nota de los errores que cometemos. Siempre hablamos una hora en español y una hora en inglés. F. me ayuda mucho con las entradas de mi blog y no podría escribir en español así sin su  apoyo. 

Por otro parte, tenemos a R que es nativo de Madrid y ha estudiado inglés durante años en una Escuela Oficial de Idiomas como yo. A R. le encanta la historia de Madrid. Nos vemos semanalmente. Además, muchas veces R. investiga un tema de historia y me cuenta la historia en inglés mientras caminamos por cualquier barrio. También “ha hecho de guía turístico” de mi tía y de mi madre. Aprendí mucho español y además mucha historia de R.

Estoy muy agradecida por de tener dos compañeros de intercambio que ahora también son mis amigos.

F, the current editor of the blog, and I, at a cafeteria. //
F., actual editor de mi blog, y yo practicamos en un cafetería.

R and I, while visiting the Royal Academy of Medicine //
R. y yo visitamos la Real Academia Nacional de Medicina de España.

5 comments:

de-I said...

That is a great situation!

Bernice said...

jWhy do teachers need to speak English? Is it taught in elementary school?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Mom, a lot of the schools here are bilingual, which means they teach some of their classes in English. This starts even in the primary schools. Northern European countries are much more fluent in English, and I think this is an attempt to help change that, although it's not clear if it'll be enough.

alexis said...

that is so cool! I'm so glad you've found these great folks to help you pick up the language. Not sure I'll be so diligent with Swedish.

A's Mum said...

You're so well organised making the most of the opportunities available to become fluent in a second language - and making friends at the same time.