Monday, September 18, 2006

Death by mechanical pencil

If any of you live beyond the reaches of the new non-planet Pluto, you may not have heard the results of my qualifier, which is that I passed one half and must take an oral exam on the second half. This is further proof that the physics Man, whoever he is, has it out for me. "How can I turn the screws just a bit more?" he thought, and then conceived of the oral, so that I will not know for another three or four weeks whether I'm going to be a physics professor or a physics dropout. "And, as a bonus, she'll have to study from all those books that she wishes she had already burned!" I'm not bitter, no, not at all.

But I am working towards resignation. So, minimal hijinks will be taking place here in College Park, at least for the next month.

6 comments:

Matty Lau said...

Oh, dear stylish one, do not taunt The Physics Man. He has powers we have yet to understand.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm beginning to understand why all these physicists are either slightly or more than slightly on the fringe of normal behavior

Anonymous said...

Oh geez! I have been checking every day to see what happened. So sorry you could not get a cut-an-dried answer. But at least there is hope? Or are you sick of hope by now? ;)

alexis said...

Um, hello, can I say CONGRATS!!!!! Dude, you passed half of it.

Now just a few more weeks of cheery studying Mwa ha ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I don't accept congratulations until I can begin the process of serious champagne drinking, the better with which to kill all these physics-problem-solving brain cells.

But I appreciate the evil laugh, Alexis.

alexis said...

I'm glad it was understandable - hard to convey in writing!