Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Snow (Half) Day!

Yeah! School will close at 2pm today! Why does this make me so happy? I don't teach or have class this afternoon (although I will miss a meeting) and I'm a grad student so technically (and it is actually the case) I should be working all the time, whether I'm at school, at home, there's a blizzard, or the Second Coming arrives. I remember, during my first year in grad school, we all rejoiced when a hurricane hit and closed school, because it meant we could all get together and do homework all day.

However, it is Andrew's birthday, so I may end up taking off part of the day. He will have to do homework all afternoon, but I have preparations to undertake. Secret preparations involving chocolate and, well, beets. I'll fill you in afterwards.

In other news, I had a sort-of dinner party on Saturday, a tradition in which a bunch of friends get together and make food. Our previous filled-foods parties have produced wontons, raviolis, and gnocci (not technically a filled-food but grandfathered in under the clause "still a hell of a lot of work to make"). This time we made Cornish pasties, to spectacularly disasterous results. I'll leave out the details, not because I want to spare you, but because my camerawoman will post a video with all the sordid pastry. I did make a trifle according to Andrew's mother's recipe and it was quite yummy. Remarked one guest, "Who knew jello and whipped cream could go so well together?" (Clearly she did not grow up in the Midwest.)

Happy Snow Day to you!

2 comments:

stef said...

Oh my. I have never attempted a savory pastry. Actually I've stayed away from all pastry so far. intrigued to see the video!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Andrew!