Monday, February 26, 2007

Such a scene of destruction

Yesterday we had a blizzard, or the closest thing to it that visits Maryland. We got six inches of snow. (Please note the tongue in cheek. I am from Minnesota, after all, and, yes, I know what blizzards really are.) With such a large amount of snow, many people took the opportunity to build snowmen. However, since we are, for most purposes, actually in the south, people here do not have a lot of experience with snowmen and apparently the engineering principles are not as intuitive as one might have thought. So as I walked to school today I felt like I was walking through the scene of a terrible snowperson accident, surrounded as I was by fallen snow forms, snow boulders, and flailing stick arms.

3 comments:

alexis said...

hahahahahaha! this is a brilliant observation. I remember getting photos from MD friends of the great 6 inch "blizzards" while in college in the snow belt of Michigan. Granted until this year, 3 inches passed for a blizzard in Albuquerque.

stef said...

You know, we've gotten plenty of snow in Chicago this year. But I can't seem to make a decent snowman. I keep blaming it on the quality of the snow, but maybe it is my training...?

Anonymous said...

maybe they are post-modern snow constructions. I like to think of them as commentaries on our modern fast-paced lifestyles, where every frenetic step is one step closer to our inevitable decomposition.