Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I've accepted the party line.

I didn't want to be like every other blogger on the planet (see great big list of blogs about bread ) but there is no avoiding the topic of "New York Times No-Knead Bread." This is the yummiest bread. Ever. That you can bake yourself.

A baking-crazy cousin sent me the link and I thought, "Yeah, yeah, Styling with Renee Michelle does not follow the trends, she makes the trends." (I always like to think of myself in the third person like that.) So I ignored it. But then someone I worked with, someone who hates the precision of baking, also recommended it as well. So I tried it, and really is oh-so-yummy.

The no-knead part is nice, but I have a mixer I always command to do that job. But because the dough is so wet, and because the bread is baked in a closed container for most of the time, it gets this incredibly shatteringly-crispy crust. In fact, this crust probably shouldn't be given to small children who could injure themselves. But that's okay, because it just means there's more for you.

So, here's the recipe. Try it.

(Oh, and is everyone impressed with my new ability to link? This is pretty fancy stuff for someone like little ole me.)

4 comments:

alexis said...

maybe I will jump on the band wagon and give this a try, but conversions always make me leery.

stef said...

Oh, I'm so glad you liked it! The first time I made it was definitely the best. Since then I've had mixed results. I'm going to try adding a lot more salt next time. Bittman says you can go up to as much as a full tablespoon without ruining it.
Congrats on the linkage! Now I need to put up a links list...

Anonymous said...

Alexis, if you're willing to deal with a different language to avoid the conversions, the "After Hours Party" on the list of blogs I posted has the recipe in German - with metric measurments. However, I can't imagine making this in your famed combi-oven of doom.

Unknown said...

I think its time for me to overcome my irrational fear of baking bread, this might be a first good step.