Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Uno!

Well, I've been a bit lax about posting. Now, I'd like to claim that nothing interesting has been going on in my life, but that clearly doesn't stop some bloggers.

We took a whirlwind trip to Ohio this past weekend. My aunts had flown in from Minnesota to visit my parents and I was the surprise bonus guest. They were thrilled to see me, I was thrilled to see them, and the weekend flew by with much merrymaking and Uno playing.

My mother's side has been playing family Uno games since I was a small child. It is so easy to learn, because there are basically two rules, and I continue to appreciate that it's a card game that I can play without remembering what a 'suite' or a 'straight flush' is.

We played with new and improved cards this time. Back in my day, we assumed that even small children could read the words, "Draw Four." Now all the cards have traded their words for icons and are presumably illiterate-friendly. And also darn hard to figure out. It took us all quite a while to determine what their intuitive little pictures were supposed to mean. (Is a thirty-one-year-old old enough to miss the good old days?)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At 31 you are over half way to full anachronism status

alexis said...

if we're already airing remember the 90's shows, it's fine to be nostalgic for old Uno in my book.

stef said...

Yes. i remember the good old days fondly.

Pulisha said...

Renee! Good to see you posting again. I have to agree that I am not crazy about the new Uno cards, but it is a great game for families who have small children (and 31 year olds with half anachrostic status ;)

Tim said...

You are old enough to tell kids to "get off my lawn."