Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Bummer

I once read some psychobabble examine-you-life-and-live-more-fully article that said that people either live in the past, the present, or the future. The punchline was that you should live in the present, but I so totally completely live in the future. I love looking forward to things. This can (occasionally) lead to bad things.

I have been planning this trip to Savannah for about three months. I've read guide books (note the plural), I've searched on travel blogs, I've printed maps, made reservations, planned where to eat, and basically dreamed of every lovely thing that we will do. However, it now appears that there is a good chance that the trip won't happen.

We were supposed to leave tomorrow morning (which meant that today was for packing, checking the oil, and going to bed early). Andrew took this opportunity to do some little things to the car and they have gone quite wrong. I know (I do come from a mechanical family, after all) that car disasters can happen to anyone, and I'm not mad, but
boy...
am...
I...
disappointed.

I'm too sad to even cry into my beer.

In the grand scheme of things I can't (well, shouldn't) complain about a lost vacation. Think of the poor starving children that don't get vacations.

But it still sucks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that things are not planning out. Especially when you are slogging away in the educational gulag. However, as a compulsive planner who has been urged by many, not the least my children, to get more into the present, I actually do think there is a lot to be said for not over planning.

alexis said...

that totally blows dear!!!!

Maybe it's not a total loss and you'll get to go somewhere else for a little while, once the car is repaired?

stef said...

Oh I'm so sorry. I'll shed a few tears in my beer for you. Hope the car things can be figured out in time to salvage some of the vacay!

Pulisha said...

(((Renee))) So sorry to hear about your vacation plans. Sometimes those little pick-me-ups are truly needed, esp. when you're in school!

Unknown said...

Your mother feels your pain too. Is it ok to use cloches? Did you and Andrew get to do anything fun, even though it would not compare to Savannah? Mom