Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Garlic soup

It's cold and rainy today, dashing my hopes that the warm weather of the past week was here to stay. The warm days did give me a chance to weed half of the flower/shrub beds surrounding my house. My decision to move in August has really put a crimp in my gardening plans this year. It won't be hard to keep the shrubs and lawn looking acceptable, but I don't plan to put in any flowers this year. It would break my heart to have to leave them, and if I planted them in containers, I think they would too quickly succumb to the Washington summer.

In happier news, I discovered a new soup that I like which uses only ingredients that I always have. So it can be included in that short list of yummy but easily made emergency dinners. The recipe that I found for garlic soup has you saute about two or three heads of garlic on very low heat for about twenty or thirty minutes. Then you add broth and your choice of spices, and cook for the same time again. When you're ready to serve, poach a few eggs in the broth, and ladle the soup over some bread. It was filling and not overwhelmingly garlic-y. And if you avoid poaching the yolk too much, you can break the yolk and make the soup wonderfully rich.

3 comments:

alexis said...

moving in with..? This sounds yummy too, btw

stef said...

hmmmm. I'm not really an egg person, but those sorts of recipes are always good to have on hand.

Anonymous said...

Yes, moving in with whom? As if your mother does not know. I'm jealous of the Savannah trip. I really want to see the flowers. Gloria and I missed them by a couple weeks when we were there. But we had fabulous sea food every night.