Monday, April 30, 2007

Tree Liberation Front

Last night after dinner, my parents and I liberated trees. I live next door to a bank, and when the bank was built, they planted a bunch of trees, carefully supporting each baby tree with wires and stakes. Then they never went near them again.

As babies grow, so did these trees, and now they are quite big. The wires, even shielded by rubber hose, have cut into their tender trunks. In addition, the single old, mighty tree on the property is covered in vines to a height of about 25 feet. It's not looking good for these trees. I've often said that I'd like to rescue them, though I was worried that the bank would be upset by my trespassing. But my father just grabbed some pruners, and he and Andrew cut through as many of the vines as they could without destroying the bark. Then he removed all the wires from younger trees. I hope that we've saved them. One died last week when a fierce wind toppled it, breaking it right where the wire had sufficiently weakened the trunk.

For the love of all that is good, people, think of the humanity, um, arborosity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you Renee Michelle - I'll write to you if the bank gets upset and you are incarcerated for rescuing the trees! Or would it be your father and Andrew that get to go to jail?

alexis said...

first trees, next you'll be moving whole flowerbeds from banks. :)