Monday, August 27, 2007

Back to School

It's never a good sign when your alarm goes off and you suddenly find yourself staring at the clock and wondering why it's making that beeping noise. Being forced to remember what an alarm is is a definite sign that summer is over.

And for me, it is. The school year begins on Wednesday, and this time, I'll be a teacher instead of a student. This all happened rather suddenly, a week ago. The department found that it had more teaching positions than teachers, so I am now the instructor of a course. I'm quite excited - it will be fun to immerse myself in the teaching instead of research for a change. It has, however, required a reshuffling of my schedule, because I think the class will take up most of my time this semester. This means minimal research and giving up the philosophy of science course I was planning to take. But in return, I get to grade forty essays a week! What a trade...

In other news, I have been hit be the desire to do some back-to- school shopping. So far I have resisted the urge to purchase the Crayola 64 crayon set (Can I just mention here that I hungered for that when I was a kid, but it was always deemed too expensive, and I always had to make do with the 24 pack. All the cool kids had the 64. How can you be creative with only 24 colors? You know, we can probably trace my lack of fine arts skills directly back to the lack of crayon diversity I had to endure as a kid.) But I did manage to pick up a suit and a few shirts last weekend. Oh, and I also bought a snazzy maroon leather coat that hits just below the hip. I'd model it for a photo but I can't bear to put it on again unless the temperature goes below 90.

7 comments:

alexis said...

ooo, everyone I know is becoming so adult! Teaching classes and such. Where did you snag the suit, somewhere where you got an amazing deal for it, no doubt?

stef said...

teaching is supposed to be rewarding i hear...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I hate to brag, but what the hell, it is my blog. It was a great deal! $12.50 for some nicely tailored trousers, a suit jacket, and a shirt (who wears a shirt under a suit made of the same suit material?!) which will be headed right back to the thrift shop.

Anonymous said...

What do your students call you? Miss Goertzen, Professor Goertzen, or if you were in the South, Miss Renee Michelle.

Anonymous said...

I don't see how anyone could possible grasp the nuances of physics without 64 colors. I had no idea your Mom was so cruel. I'll have to have a talk with her when we visit next month.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

My students just use my oh-so-long first name. It's pretty common for grad students, as well as profs who want to appear approachable, to go by their first names.