Sunday, September 02, 2007

Sweet corn, the taste of summer

Happy Labor Day! I am doing my best to avoid laboring this weekend.

We went to the farmer's market yesterday and I may have went a little crazy. I blame this on our farm share: while they provide us with a wide variety of veg, they tend to go a little heavier on the squash and eggplant (And don't even get me started on the quantity of okra they keep trying to foist on us, for goodness' sake, I'm a Midwesterner and my yearly maximum of okra is just under two bites.) and a bit too light on the tomatoes and corn. So we bought twelve ears of corn, about two dozen tomatoes, watermelon, and plums. I invited a foodie friend over for dinner and we had an orgy of summer food: tomato, sweet corn, and bread salad with basil, pasta with homemade pesto and tomatoes, fresh baked bread with a trio of gooey cheeses, and Italian plum custard tart. We had to waddle to bed, but I felt like we made an praiseworthy attempt to completely enjoy summer (and of course, for me that is synonymous with eating).

3 comments:

alexis said...

gods, I do miss farmers markets!! It's not really the same here as in the US.

Anonymous said...

The problem of produce mix has always been what has kept us from the farmer service concept.

Not eat okra! What a cop out - being from the midwest - you've lived all over the world, even in Albuquerque. Try pan frying it first then putting it into an Indian sauce. The frying seals the ends and you avoid that texture everyone dislikes.

Anonymous said...

I never understood what a bread salad was. Care to enlighten?