Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The scales have fallen from my eyes

Last night we took my mother to a tapas restaurant which I remembered as being really good as well as reasonably priced, but which turned out to be neither. Few things get my goat more than paying a lot of money for food that I could have cooked, and cooked better. I can only explain my memory of the great food with the fact that Andrew and I went there on what was probably our second or third date, and so at that point in my life all food tasted heavenly.

My mother has certainly earned her keep this week, helping me purchase curtains and then hemming them by hand. We also picked up an awesome hanging lamp for over the kitchen table, but I'm not posting pictures of anything until all the decorating is done, so that all socks in the immediate vicinity will be knocked off.

I think I'm falling out of love with IKEA. I still appreciate their insanely cheap, reasonably attractive products. But when I want something more than a wastebasket, I look for furnishings that are different than what everybody else has, and in than respect the thrift stores beat IKEA hands down.

2 comments:

stef said...

Ikea will always have it's place and be good for some things. But it's true that the older I get the less full my cart is when I leave. I still think it's great for inexpensive shelving.

alexis said...

I have always hated Ikea. And I am a cheap bastard, but the size just always creeps me out.

Can overseas socks be knocked off? I am throwin' down the guantlet, show us those pics!