Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Roast pork

Last weekend was spent preparing for a pig roast, attending a pig roast, and recovering from a pig roast. As detailed here, my parents through a huge pig roast for their 140 closest friends and neighbors. And because vegetarians enjoy nothing more than watching people dismantle and consume hundreds of pounds of pig, I came too.

My husband was designated Head Carver this year. At the previous pig roasts he only apprenticed, so this was a big promotion. He was ably assisted in his carving by another guest's son-in-law, who was apparently another meat-loving immigrant. When they were dismantling the head, this man thrust the eyeball at Andrew and asked him if he was scared. So for the honor of his country, he ate the eye. I forgot to ask how it tasted, because I was so freaked out by the act.

The side dishes were potluck, and I'm sorry to report that only one dish of jello made an appearance. I'm starting to think that Midwestern cuisine is changing a bit. When I was a kid, church potlucks always yielded hotdishes (known as casseroles in the rest of the country), bean salads, and jello salads. But this time I saw lots of green salads. I can assure you, though, that the most adored guest is the one that brings deviled eggs.

4 comments:

Mars Girl said...

Ew. I couldnt eat the eyeball. Is this some weird pig roast tradition?

Gill - UK said...

When he arrived in D.C. Andrew had plenty of practice eating the unusual. He sampled some of the culinary delights provided by the student whose apartment he shared.
RM - your cooking holds much more appeal!

alexis said...

LOL - if not for boys and their games, would we ever laugh?

Also I almost snorted my candy out when I read the vegetarians love pig roasts line.

unclem-nm said...

Well done Grasshopper Andrew!