Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Summer recap

It's an absolutely, gobsmackingly beautiful day today. The weather has been perfect all week - clear, cool in the evenings, and sunny. We've been able to turn off the air-conditioning, at least for now. I won't be surprised if it hits the 90s in a few days, but I'm enjoying it today.

All this fall weather, combined with the start of school, has me reviewing my summer. My increased devotion to my dissertation has meant that we've mainly stayed close to home, but I've still managed to have a lot of fun. Here are some things I'll remember:





We vowed to go to the beach at least once a month, starting in April. So far, we've managed it. I expect that we'll get three more visits in, although the October and November trips may not
involve swimming. I've never gone to the beach in November, but supposedly seals winter over at Assateague, and it would be worth the trip to see seals in the wild.



A few weeks ago Andrew and I were continuing our quests to be tourists in our own hometown, and we went to Baltimore's American Visionary Art Museum. Pictures weren't allowed inside, but the picture on the right accurately represents the type of art we saw. Highlights included a quilted history of the formation of the universe and a fifteen-foot long ocean liner built entirely of matchsticks. I highly recommend it.


This tree was outside the museum. I have vowed that one day, when we own a house, I will have one of these in my back yard.

And now I'm looking forward to my very last school year as a student. I'm starting the school year off right with a writing weekend in Philadelphia. Please make a sacrifice to the god of your choice to ensure much productive writing by me in the coming months.

4 comments:

stef said...

You actually have a high likelihood of having a tree like that in your yard if you REALLY want it.

alexis said...

wow, that quilt sounds incredible!

sending many offerings and prayers to the dissertation gods.

Bernice said...

My part will be to not disturb you when you are writing while visiting us.

unclem-nm said...

I'd love a tree like that. It would go so well with the rock daisy in the front yard.

Prayer wish is my command. We plan to raid the high suburbs this weekend for an appropriate sacrifice on your behalf to QUETZALCOATL who is the Aztec god of civilization and learning among other things.