Monday, February 08, 2010

25 inches

The snow, the snow. School was cancelled on Friday and Monday. The mail didn't come and the Saturday paper showed up on Sunday night. Andrew and the landlord spent four hours shoveling the driveway. (FOUR hours.) Most of the side streets weren't cleared today, 48 hours after the storm ended.

And I had three different flight cancelled. They kept rebooking me, but what are you going to do when the airport isn't open? In the end I got a bit desperate. I didn't really have the option of postponing this trip later in the month, and each day that I lost put me closer to when I needed to be back in DC for a conference.

So last night I rebooked, for the fourth time. Andrew drove me to Richmond, VA, which is less than three hours away in the southerly direction. We left home eight hours before my flight in case the roads were unbearable. But I think it's all going to turn out: I'm sitting in an airport, I have three hours before my flight, and airplanes appear to be winging their way into the sky.

Now the question is, will I be able to return on Wednesday, in the midst of the next predicted storm?

8 comments:

Ellie said...

WOW!!!! What an adventure!! I hope you don't have to fly BACK into Richmond.

Gill - UK said...

Now I know why DC has snow drift signs attached to lamp posts.

RunEddRun said...

Next summer when I'm sitting in 112 degree heat pondering why I live in a heat drenched desert, I'm going to re-read this blog. :-) Hang in there Renee! We're pulling for you.

unclem-nm said...

No a whole lot you can do when mother nature decides to shut your area down.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alexis said...

did you make it there??

Bernice said...

Keep us posted.

Jason Loper said...

I'm reading this Wednesday morning, as I hear about the next round of snowstorms in the DC area. Can't wait to hear whether you made it back!