Friday, November 18, 2011

Singing through a haze

My choir is singing our fall concerts this weekend, with the first being this evening. I am equal parts exhausted (ten hours of rehearsals plus six hours of commuting to rehearsals) and excited. Last night we rehearsed in the first performance space, a church, which turned out to be a modern building (all cement, glass and wood) which had the acoustics of a Cathedral (because of all the cement, glass, and wood). Singing with the orchestra and soloists makes us sound like an honest to goodness real choir. They hope to put some of the concert on YouTube, so if that happens I'll post a link.

In other news, I somehow hurt my back and am taking muscle relaxants. Although I am only taking one quarter of the drugs prescribed, I am tired and loopy. My coworkers have intimated that I am not censoring my comments quite as much as I usually do. So far they find this amusing, but I'll be glad when I'm back to my usual self.

4 comments:

Dr. BG said...

I know what the haziness of muscle relaxants can do. I hurt my shoulder last month and was prescribed valium and ibuprofen. I took the full dose the first time, went to work, and slept on my desk all morning! I hope your back feels better soon, so you can be back to feeling and acting like yourself again! :D

de-I said...

Sorry about the back and hope it is not interfering with your enjoyment of the chorus

Ellie said...

Oh, bummer! There's nothing better for a sore back than standing for many hours in the same position, trying to support your lungs and vocal chords...

alexis said...

back troubles are the worst! They seem to be the culmination of lots of wrong movements over a long period of time, and require just as much patience to correct. I hope you feel a bit better soon, though maybe you will have to do a bit of the dreaded exercise to make it really improved.