Thursday, November 03, 2011

Living in the past

I'm having a lot of fun dressing vintage lately. I seem to have hit some magic amount of vintage and vintage-style clothes in my wardrobe such that I can wear the look about half the time. This also means that I've been spending far too much time researching things like how to do your hair in rag curls and whether you can really wear dance shoes outside in rainy weather (they make a lot of inexpensive dance shoes in vintage styles, but many of them have suede soles).

Pity my poor husband, who is the unwilling recipient of all that I learn, and who listens to my debates about whether $110 is too much to pay for a petticoat. (Which of course it is, but there aren't that many petticoat manufacturers around any more, so it's not like I have a lot of options.)

In other news, I took a wonderful weekend trip to DC a few weeks ago. I was in Virginia for work, and extended the trip so that I could visit some of my old friends in DC. It was wonderful to see the fall colors. And to kick leaves. And to be able to wear a sweater. Because I love my job in Miami so much, I keep hoping that my longing for seasons will abate. I hear songs on the radio and think of cider and soup and my heart is struck with a feeling that has no name. Perhaps I will name it Herbssehnsucht, (longing for fall)? In the meantime, I will be happy that it is cool enough that we can sometimes turn off the air conditioner, and I shall look forward to the ten frosty days in Ohio this Christmas.

4 comments:

Bernice said...

$100 would buy you a used sewing machine and you could make many petticoats. Put it on your wish list for Christmas.

Shaela said...

Looking forward to frosty days? That's going too far!! You have to get out of the state more.

alexis said...

aw, I think it is so sweet that you miss the seasons! It's something clearly ingrained in who you are.

And thanks to breastfeeding I'm watching a lot of TV and tons of old episodes of what not to wear, so I am happy to hear about your renaissance with fashion.

de-I said...

Based upon weather here today (Sat) and projected for the next week, you'll be getting your 'frosty' fix earlier than you expected.

Cold Bernice so motherly cold.