Wednesday, May 30, 2012

48 hours of Japanese cooking

It just so happened that this weekend I was invited to a party featuring Japanese food, right around the same time I invited friends over to make sushi. This worked out perfectly, as the party was attended (and hosted) by people who had lived in Japan, and I learned how to make sushi cones (I think they're called temaki?) and use the little tofu pockets, which are the easiest kind of sushi I've ever made. I also got sent home from the party with leftover dumpling ingredients. There are no pictures of those, as we consumed them as fast as they came out of the hot oil.

Two days later, we were making sushi at my house. I was very happy with how nice it all looked, especially the folded egg sushi (tamagoyaki - you can seem them wrapped with the sushi ribbon.) Tamagoyaki is a sort of sweet egg sushi, and it's about the best thing the Japanese have invented for vegetarians. I was assisted by someone who claimed she had no cooking skills, but it just goes to show that if you have good instructions and enough time, you can figure out almost anything.

7 comments:

de-I said...

Nice job. But there are things that very suspiciously look like shrimp in there. I take it that you did not one hundred percent do vegetarian sushi.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Our guests were omnivores, so they enjoyed the shrimp and salmon. Andrew and I stuck to the egg, cucumber, and avocado.

alexis said...

nicely done!

OMG - I love those tofu pockets but I usually use them for dumplings. Never thought about them for sushi!

Bernice said...

That looks so good. Please come visit again SOON.

Bernice said...

That looks so good. Please come visit again SOON.

Pulisha said...

What a great party idea! I have never made sushi before, was it difficult to roll it properly?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I think making sushi is really easy. Having the right ingredients is key (sushi rice, nori sheets), but then you just have a bunch of raw ingredients, cut into long thin strips.

Although they say you need a bamboo mat to make it easier to roll, I've never had one and it wasn't a problem. Our guests had never made sushi before, but at the end of the evening they were planning to make it at home themselves, And the cones are even easier. No cutting or rolling required.