Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The gamble of cooking

Last weekend I decided that we didn't have enough snacks stockpiled in the freezer. We need this kind of thing because we don't buy a lot of prepared crackers and chips, and sometimes a bowl of cereal just won't cut it. Plus, I've got all those bento boxes to fill every morning, and sometimes I run out of ideas after two or three containers. So I spent a few days baking: rye bread, morning glory muffins, savory sesame cookies, and sauerkraut crackers. I was particularly excited about those last two items, because they were brand new recipes. The savory sesame cookies were a disappointment, and now I have three dozen tasteless brown hockey pucks in the freezer. (I won't link to the recipe, in case anyone is ever tempted to make them.) The Czech crackers (called Zelniky), though, are lovely: buttery, a bit sour, and a chewy. And I finally got rid of that sauerkraut that's been lurking in the fridge for the past few months. This is the gamble of cooking - sometimes you get dry and tasteless, and sometimes you get to experience something brand new and delicious. Sauerkraut crackers - who would have guessed?

2 comments:

alexis said...

first off, you are so good to bake your own snacks! And also I hate you because now I have to try to make those crackers. They sound AWESOME.

de-I said...

You should get a couple of hockey sticks so you have a use now for your hockey pucks.