Friday, October 10, 2008

My newest favorite toy...

Bento boxes. (Also known as tiffins or small stackable tupperware.) 

Andrew and I got new lunchboxes at the start of the school year, and I'm loving them. There are four individual containers that all fit in one insulated holder, so I can send either hot or cold food. We get more variety than we ever did before, and even though I know what is in them each day, I still enjoy the surprise. 
Here's how they work. You lay them out:

You fill with leftovers:
They all get a lid. 
And they they all get stacked (and put into the thermos).
I thought it would take loads of time to prepare this much food, but I normally only fill the largest container with leftover dinner. Then one gets some miso paste and veggies, which we turn into soup with the addition of hot water at school. The other two get some combination of fruit, yogurt, nuts, dried fruit, or some cake, if we're lucky enough to have some. Yum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really cool. In India they have these services which bring homemade meals to workers based on this same concept.

stef said...

That is the cutest! i love it.